Thursday, January 28, 2010

'Soup'er Yummy!

It's that time for another Recipe of the Week. Yep! Even though I'm on vacation I'm still following through on my goal. I made dinner for my parents tonight. (My mom helped too, especially with clean-up. SWEET!) Tonight's recipe comes from a cookbook I found at my mom's house. It is one of those awesome books put together by a bunch of ladies from church. They are always full of the best tried and true recipes. This one didn't let us down.

Zuppa Touscano
(A Taste of Heaven from the Mtn. View 6th Ward - Diane Garner)

1/4-1/2 lb. hot Italian sausage*
2-4 slices cooked & crumbled bacon
4 Cups chicken broth
2 Cups kale
1/2 Cup heavy whipping cream
3/4 Cup diced onions
1 1/2 tsp. minced garlic
4 potatoes, cut into half circles

Bake sausage on baking sheet for 20 minutes at 320 degrees. Cut sausage into small slices. Cook onion and bacon in saucepan until the onion is transparent. Add garlic and cook for an additional minute. Bring soup to a boil after adding broth and potatoes. Reduce heat and simmer about 15 minutes. Add kale, sausage and cream and simmer an additional 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.

*We used mild Italian sausage, I'm not a huge fan of Hot.


The soup was awesome. I made some homemade garlic-parmesan bread sticks to go along with the soup. Yumm-o!

1 comment:

Lynette said...

that looks really good, i definitely want to try it! i love your new recipe sharing idea...i'm totally benefitting from it!