Friday, January 1, 2010

Chocolate Peppermint Roll - recipe of the week

Happy New Year! Can you believe it is 2010? Hopefully this new year brings lots of wonderful and exciting things to my family and yours.

I'm not one to make a huge list of new years resolutions, but I do try to set a few goals. One of my goals for 2010 is to cook more and be adventurous by trying new recipes (and a few good staples once in a while too!) To help me in this effort and give me something to be accountable for, I am making it my goal to include a recipe-of-the-week on my blog. (Complete with a picture of my finished product!)

I started my new little adventure yesterday by making a cake roll. I've seen them done once or twice, but never tried to attempt one on my own. It turned out AWESOME (and super yummy to!) I'd say this recipe would be good for an intermediate level cook.

Chocolate Peppermint Roll
(Hershey's Recipe Collection Cookbook)
CHOCOLATE SPONGE ROLL
4 eggs, separated
1/2 cup plus 1/3 cup granulated sugar, divided
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup cocoa
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/8 tsp. salt
1/3 cup water

PEPPERMINT FILLING
1 cup whipping cream, cold
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup finely crushed hard peppermint candy or 1/ 2 teaspoon mint extract
Few drops red food color (optional)

CHOCOLATE GLAZE
2 Tbl. butter or margarine
2 Tbl. cocoa
2 Tbl. water
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

1. For CHOCOLATE SPONGE ROLL, heat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 x 1 - inch jelly-roll pan with foil; generously grease foil.

2. Beat egg whites on high speed of mixer in large bowl until soft peaks form; gradually add 1/2 cup granulated sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Set aside.

3. Beat egg yolks and vanilla on medium speed of mixer in medium bowl 3 minutes. Gradually add remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar; continue beating 2 minutes. Stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture to egg yolk mixture alternately with water, beating just until batter is smooth. using rubber spatula, gradually fold beaten egg whites into chocolate mixture until well blended. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.

4. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until the top springs back when touched lightly. Immediately loosen cake from edges of pan; invert onto clean towel sprinkled with powdered sugar. carefully peel off foil. Immediately roll cake in towel, starting from narrow end; place on wire rack to cool completely. (I let it cool for a bit on a rack then stuck it in the fridge to hurry up the process.)

5. For PEPPERMINT FILLING, beat whipping cream on medium speed of mixer in medium bowl until slightly thickened. Add 1/4 cup powdered sugar and peppermint candy or mint extract and food color, if desired; beat cream until stiff peaks form.

6. For CHOCOLATE GLAZE, melt butter in small saucepan over very low heat; add cocoa and water, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Gradually beat in 1 cup powdered sugar and vanilla extract.

7. Carefully unroll cake; remove towel. Spread cake with PEPPERMINT FILLING; reroll cake. Glaze with CHOCOLATE GLAZE. Refrigerate until just before serving. Cover; refrigerate leftover dessert.

*It may sound like a lot of work, but other than dirtying a ton a dishes, it wasn't too hard. It's worth the effort though, it tasted AWESOME!!


3 comments:

Croslands said...

mmmmmm good. But way too much work for me.

Lynette said...

That looks sooo good!!!

Muriah Lucero said...

Yay! I am going to be checking often for those new recipes.. I love trying new things!