Tuesday, October 7, 2008

A recent sewing project...

For real...I sewed this! I still can't believe it myself! (Actually, I can't take all the credit, Lynette definitely had a hand in it too. We tackled half of it together, during a trip up to their house.)

So in most cases, I do not sew clothing. It's just not been my 'thing.' Really, I've just had some very frustrating experiences and have given up. The question is, how did I get roped into this crazy item? I'm still not quite sure of the answer! Okay, actually I was promised a new Cricut Cartridge, that'll get me every time! That, and Sara is a good sweet-talker. You see, my good friend Sara and her husband had been invited to a Jane Austen Ball, and had to go dressed in 'period' clothing. Sara's mom was making her dress and didn't have the time to make Hans' coat too. When she approached me about sewing the coat, I told her of my past experiences sewing clothing but knew she didn't have a whole lot of other options. After looking at the pattern it didn't seem too difficult, so I agreed to try it on three conditions... (1) I got to choose the material. (I had a disasterous experience earlier this year involving a prom shrug/jacket and the wrong temperature iron. NO GOOD.) (2) This was going to be a costume, so I am going to treat it like one and not stress at imperfections. (3) She had to have a back-up plan just in case things went south!

So as you can tell, it actually ended up looking like a coat! Not that I plan on taking up sewing clothes or anything (I'll stick with my cute baby and toddler accessories!), but I am dang proud at how this turned out. I honestly didn't think it could be done. Anyway, below are pictures of Sara and Hans all dolled up and ready to head out to their party. I'd say they made a dang cute couple...Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth Bennett in the flesh!

6 comments:

Lynette said...

That looks AWESOME on him!!! It looks like it fits perfectly!!! Great job!! I can't believe you made that either...it's so professional looking...you are a professional!

The Pugs said...

awe shucks....thanks! I couldn't have done it without you though. Thanks for all your help.

Croslands said...

The greatest thing about that is that Mike needs a new suit. I have already purchased the material and will bring the tailored pattern over this weekend. You're the best. Can't wait to use you for all of my future clothes.

The Pugs said...

*giggling* You're not as funny as you think you are! (Okay, just kidding, you really are!)

Jenni said...

You are amazing!! Great job on that!!:)

the design boss said...

I am super impressed! Way to go Tammi (and Lynette!)! What a great person you are to do that for your friends.