Saturday, October 18, 2008

Confession Time

So...I should be totally embarrassed to admit this, but you're all my friends, right? So heres the deal. I am one of 'those' people who have been afraid of going to the dentist for WAY too long. Seriously, it has been years. There are a lot of factors that play into my 'fear'... when I was young, I had to have almost all of my baby teeth pulled, because they weren't falling out on their own. (We're talking like getting eight molars pulled at ONCE. I remember counting over 16 shots that time) I had a couple of other rough extractions as well. On top of that, the Orthodontist and I were 'tight' for like five or six years with expanding retainers and a LONG stint of braces. I think I was a little traumatized. - So now that I am older, I have had the intention to go for quite a while, knowing that I would still like to have teeth when I get OLD. But, there was always some excuse...moving and not knowing any good dentists, not knowing how much insurance would cover or what Dr.'s were in-network, etc.

Well, last week I had a wake-up call. I was flossing my teeth, and I chipped a tooth! That was all it took to send me over the edge. Obviously ones tooth is not suppose to chip while flossing, I knew it was time to see a Dentist, and to do it soon. To sum up the boring parts, I went to the dentist on Wed. for the first time in years! Yea for me! It was a personal accomplishment! (We are SO lucky to have a dentist in our area who is LDS, and who everybody recommends.) I went, I got a cavity filled, and I have an appointment for next Tuesday to get a cleaning and full check-up. Here is the best part though, he was FANTASTIC. He only had to give me ONE shot. It was the most painless cavity fix I have ever experienced. I was in and out of there in like half an hour.

I'm not so scared anymore. Here's to a good dentist!!

4 comments:

Jenni said...

I am a bit dentist phobic too, but yay for you that you had a good experience! I nice dentist makes all the difference!!

Lynette said...

GOOD JOB TAMI!!! I'm sooo proud of you! It sounds like you had enough dental work in your youth to make up for a lifetime...ughh!! I'm glad you are on your way to a healthy mouth :)

Mary said...

Great job Tami! I know how scary it is to go back to the dentist after a long absence. But you did it! The hardest part is over - just going to the first appointment! Whew :)

the design boss said...

I honestly think that it depends on the dentist weither or not you have a positive experience. I am glad that it went well and it was just a cavity and not something worse!