Monday, July 14, 2008

Great Read...

Lynette let me borrow this book to read. She gushed about it and told everyone she knows how much she enjoyed it. (Which is saying a lot for Lynette because she's not much of a reader!) Wow! She wasn't kidding. What an amazing, almost unbelievable story. Yet it is TRUE.

Some of you may remember this story in the news. It happened back in April of 2006. There was a van from Taylor University (a Christian college) that was hit on the freeway. Five students were killed instantly, one survived, three staff members also lived. The identity of the two girls this story was about was accidentally switched at the scene of the accident. (One girl's purse was next to the other girl 50 feet from the van and they were enough alike in coloring, and build that she was positively identified with the wrong ID.) So to make a long story short, one family buried their daughter while another family took care of an attended to their daughter struggling for life and in a coma in an ICU. After five weeks and the living girl starting to recover it is discovered that she is actually the daughter of the other family, and the family taking care of the girl in the hospital had actually lost their daughter in the accident. It sounds totally unbelievable that the identity of the girl in the hospital wasn't discovered any sooner, but because of the accident her face was swollen, she was in a coma for weeks, and the two girls had so many of the same traits. Also, the family who ended up burying the "wrong daughter" had not identified the body because staff members from the college had done so and they did not want those haunting memories of seeing "their daughter" that way.

So that is the story, in a nutshell. What is amazing and inspiring about reading the book is how much these two families relied on God and Jesus Christ for comfort through their ordeals. Their faith in the Lord carried these two families through the whole ordeal. I would recommend this book to everyone who can get their hands on it. I'll probably be getting it for a handful of my relatives for christmas this year. It is THAT inspirational.

Anyway, thanks Lynette, for giving me the opportunity to read this book. Even though these families were not LDS, they believe in God and Jesus Christ, the Atonment, and life after death. My faith has been given a boost and I have been totally uplifted by reading this book.

3 comments:

Lynette said...

I totally agree with everything you said! I'm so glad you liked it! Can you see now why I thought it was weird to say that I "liked" it...it's just so tragic. And yet it is totally inspirational and spiritual too...what an amazing story! You read it FAST!

The Pugs said...

Unfortunately when I like what I am reading I can block everything else out (including my child!) and read read read. I'm pretty sure it was just Sat and Sun! A good weekend book.

Cathy Messecar said...

I'd heard the news story about the mistaken identity, but didn't know there was a book out about the tragedy. Thanks for letting folks know through your blog...Cathy Messecar

http://aScrapbookofChristmasFirsts.blogspot.com/

http://stainedglasspickup.blogspot.com/