Friday, April 23, 2010

Construction

We (ok, mostly Scott) have been working hard on building a garden box. Just a few more hours of work and we'll be ready to fill it with top soil and get our little seedlings planted! Our soil is SO TERRIBLE here that we decided the best route to go was to build up, rather than even attempt to clear a space for a garden. I am super excited for our 'box garden'. Scott has constructed it so that we can add another box next year too.
Kyle is Scott's little sidekick. If there is 'construction' going on anywhere inside or outside of the house, K-man is THERE! He loves 'helping'. He recently told me that when he grows up he wants to be an 'Instruction' worker. (It's pretty cute, he keeps mixing up construction and instruction.) We'll see what a few years and more house construction bring...

I'm super excited about the project I've been working on. I've been digging out the grass along the sunward (is that a word? It makes sense... like the windward side of an island! It's the side that gets sun ALL DAY LONG) side of our house. We're planing a couple blackberry and raspberry bushes this year. HOORAY! I've wanted to do this for a few years, and it is finally happening. I bought the plants today. We probably won't get fruits this year, but by next year we will be enjoying fresh home-grown berries! I can hardly wait.

Back to the garden. This year I am planting yellow squash, bell peppers, petite cucumbers (hopefully enough that I can pickle them!), cilantro, basil, and a couple varieties of tomatoes. Waiting to harvest is the hardest part. I'm pretty excited about it all though.

This afternoon while Colby was napping, I brought out the baby monitor and worked on sprucing up our front planter a bit. I didn't get to do anything with it last year since I was either super preggo, or recovering from the c-section, so I have been excited to plant flowers again this year. While I was out working I snapped this cool photo. The azaleas are in full-bloom, and the bee's are LOVING them!

1 comment:

Amy said...

We did the same thing last year! It was fun to finally see the fun produce that we got from our garden. I did the pickling cucumbers too. Being our first time we only got about 10 cucumbers. I was so proud of ourselves I took pictures. I can tomatoes every year and every year it gets so expensive to buy tomatoes. So with the garden last year I didn't have to buy nearly as many. I am hoping that this year I won't have to any at all! Good luck with yours!